Monday, October 17, 2011

Six months after surgery

In three days, it will be six months since Dr. Ben-Meir performed gastric bypass surgery on me.  Time for a quick status report.

I now weigh 194 pounds, for a weight loss of 80 lb.  Loss has plateaued over the last couple of weeks.  I'm trying to exercise more to keep things moving.

Am now walking 2.2 miles four or five days a week.  This gets me close to the distance I used to walk before open-heart surgery in 2006.

After taking blood pressure meds for 38 years, they are no longer part of my life.  Cardiologist Dr. N broke the news to me a few weeks ago:  You no longer have high blood pressure.  You can stop taking the pills.  And this morning, my primary care physician agreed.  Oh wonders of a merciful God!

I had been dizzy and unsteady on my feet, and asked another doc if dropping the BP meds would help.  Yes, she said, but you should also switch the Tamulozosin (prostate med) to nighttime.  It's an alpha-blocker and that is partly responsible for your dizziness.  So I made the change, and I haven't had any attacks of dizziness since.  Bless that woman!

Had family and friends here for my 70th birthday party over this last weekend.  Monica's family local, Jeff's family from Simsbury, CT: Skylar, Erick, Evangeline, Hannah, Susan and Jeff.  Gavin couldn't get off work, so we skyped Saturday afternoon.  I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful, supporting family!  And my dear wife Virginia worked her fanny off for a month doing the hard work involved in bringing off this special event.  Profound thanks to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment