Friday, April 1, 2011

Countdown to Surgery

April 20 is my scheduled date for Surgery.  Went in yesterday for the pre-op testing.  Started at 7:15 at the hospital, and finished about 2:00.  Wound up with a graduating class of four guys, and we went through together.  I gather this is an oddity; many of the nurses there to train us said they had never seen an all-guy group before.  Here are some of the things covered:

  • Housekeeping details, like insurance, ID, co-pays, and release forms. Ah, yes, the release and consent forms.
  • Lung-function tests.  Blow in the little machine.  Blow fast.  Blow slow.  Over and over again.  I passed, but had to promise to use a little torture machine (spirometer?) 100 times a day to keep lungs strong.
  • Blood work and EKG.  Detailed medical history.  No surprises here.
  • Met with MD for instructions on meds.  What to keep taking; what to stop (like aspirin) and what to reduce (like insulin.).  Good meeting, many questions answered.
  • Nurse came in to review details of meds.  What to crush;  how to open capsules.  Why not to take whole pills (they can get caught in the surgically altered pouch) and how to swallow crushed pills (sprinkle powder on applesauce.)
  • Dietitians Dina and Erin brought us order forms for high-protein snacks and drinks, along with samples.   I guess folks complain about taste, so they wanted to give us a preview.  Yummm.  Also diet log forms and day-by-day menus for post-surgical noshing.
At least one blogger gives the date of her surgery as the date she was reborn.  I need to take some picturea of myself, showing my fantastic physique (ha!) to document how I looked on my rebirth date.  These will become my "before" photos, and I'll post them for your amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment