Monday, April 11, 2011

Last-minute flap

Some excitement last week, followed by a reprieve of sorts.  My surgery still scheduled for the 20th, but early in the week, they told me I had flunked a blood test and needed clearance from a nephrologist.  A Kidney doc.  Now I don't have the greatest relationship with my kidney doc.  When I called mine for a rush appointment, they told me the earliest I could get one was in June.
>
(Why do I have a poor relationship?  Well, it feels like they mainly give gloomy warnings rather than useful therapies... grave warnings about how I'm killing myself with  diabetes... blood pressure... etc. It sometimes feels like the kidney docs are all operating a cosmic Ghoul Pool and the one who comes closest to guessing my departure date gets to wear the coveted black cloak for a week.  Or something.)
>
Since my regular kidney doc couldn't see me for two months, I called around and got an appointment with a young guy  I'd never heard of.  To my shock, he was a good guy, told me I was doing a good job managing things, and the surgery would provide an enormous step forward in my health and lifestyle.  And wrote me the needed letter, larded with wonderful phrases like "Stable over last four years" and  "...no contraindications .."  I could have kissed him.  And that was my reprieve.


Bottom line:  surgery still on track for April 20.>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment